Synology is one of my favourite Network Attached Storage (NAS) & easily has the best UI in the market.
There are even iPhone apps that enable users to stream music, photos & live CCTV Surveillance recordings directly into the iPhone from Synology's NAS running DSM 2.3.
Diskstation Station Manager is the user interface (AJAX) program that you use to manage your NAS box.
Other really kool features includes:
1) Super energy efficient (up to 10x lesser than a standard Windows server) also with "Scheduled Power ON/Off" capability
2) EZ-Internet wizard that enable you to easily configure DDNS so that you can access your files via your iphone or Laptop (via internet browser) while on the move
3) VMWare Compatible (this one is for techies only)
4) Very Strong Data Encryption (AES-256bit) to protect sensitive data or folder
5) Plenty of free 3rd Party application support
6) Seemless backup integration with Amazon's S3 Online Cloud-based storage - if your NAS dies, a duplicated copy of your data is on the cloud.
7) Free scheduled backup software for PC desktops/Laptops (Data Replicator 3) & Mac Systems (Time Machine compatible)
8) IP CCTV recording Support
Technical Spec for DS710+ ==> my recommendation for SOHO & Departmental storage
Check out the online demo on Synology's DSM 2.3 using your iPhone: